In our hiring practices and personnel policies, we are committed to inviting in and lifting up the voices of historically excluded and marginalized communities, and ensuring that how we do our work does not replicate, reinforce, or reproduce racial or other intersectional structural inequities.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and members of structurally marginalized and/or underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Writers & Books encourages you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
Visit Writers & Books’ ABOUT page to read our Mission, Vision, Values, and Justice Equity Diversity Accessibility & Inclusion Statements.
Bookstore & Visitor Services Associate
Join Writers & Books’ team and learn or refine your bookselling and public relations skills. This position is an opportunity to help build Ampersand Books’ inventory and contribute to our mission-driven activities. Ampersand Books is owned and operated by Writers & Books, Rochester’s leading nonprofit literary arts center. Our intimate space boasts a curated selection of award-winning and hard-to-find fiction, poetry, and nonfiction. Specialties include small press titles, texts focused on social justice, and books by local authors.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject line “Bookstore Associate.”
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
POSITION SPECIFICATIONS: 15 -20 hours/week on site; ability to work evenings and Saturdays
HOURLY WAGE: $15
WORKING CONDITIONS: Retail and office environment, with occasional off-site assignments
SCOPE OF WORK
The Bookstore & Visitor Services Associate provides a high level of clerical and hands-on support to the Bookstore Coordinator and serves as a public-facing, knowledgeable ambassador for Writers & Books’ program of services.
- Serve the public in person, online, on the telephone, and at the cash register
- Process special orders, memberships, and registrations; maintain data
- Receive inventory; assist with displays and signage; return overstock
- Maintain supplies; monitor collateral literature
- Stay current with organizational activities and protocols
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Vaccination against COVID-19
- Love of reading
- Strong interpersonal, communications, and organizational skills
- Maturity, flexibility, and sense of humor
- Ability to take initiative and also work collaboratively
- Facility with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Outlook, and CRM software a plus