March 17, 2020
In uncertain times, we turn to our favorite poems and works of fiction for consolation, strength, perspective, and joy. Especially now, while so many of us are practicing social distancing, Writers & Books is committed to creating space for discourse, imagination, and compassion through the literary arts.
Our 740 University Avenue, Rochester, site will be closed to the public through March 31. Our board, staff, and teaching artists are working together to make virtual programs available to you while you stay in the safety of your homes.
Please join us throughout March and April for virtual workshops and presentations, recommended reads, and opportunities to support.
WORKSHOPS FOR ADULTS
Our workshops are moving to the virtual classroom! Through the magic of Zoom, you can fully participate–respond to prompts and exercises and interact with your instructor and fellow writers. The day before your workshop you’ll receive an email with a link to Zoom for your workshop session. Sign up for:
- April 11 | 11 am – 12:30 pm: Beyond Inspiration: Searching for the Origins of Your Poems with Liza Flum
- April 11 | 10 am – 12:30 pm: Seeing Again: Digging Deeper for Revision, with Anais Salibian
- April 15 – May 20 | 6:30 – 9 pm: Fiction Writer’s Workshop: Art & Craft, with Brian Wood
- April 18 | 11 am – 12:30 pm: Writing a Powerful Memoir I: Getting Started, with Mark Block
- April 25 | 11 am – 12:30 pm: Writing a Powerful Memoir II: Share Your Writing, with Mark Block
- April 25 | 10 am – 12:30 pm: Your Story’s Setting is a Character, with Alex Sanchez
LITERARY PARTNERS READINGS | VISITING AUTHORS
Stay tuned for admission-free YouTube readings and talks.
APRIL BREAK CAMPS FOR YOUTH
Most camps will be conducted online: details coming soon.
We’ll deliver books to your door! Order from our March Staff Picks for a 15% discount, or place your special order with us and keep your book buying dollars local. Simply email email@example.com with your request; we’ll process your order and deliver it to your home (within a 10 miles radius of Ampersand), or happily arrange for curbside pick-up. Members receive a 10% discount.
You’re invited to share your favorite poems or a chapter from your favorite novel on our YouTube channel (PG and in the public domain only, please). With the audio feature of your mobile phone, simply make a 5-to-10 minute recording, then email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on sending us the file.
WAYS TO HELP
Thank you for your messages of support! Like our sister nonprofits, in closing our doors to the public, we’re doing our part to help flatten the COVID-19 curve. The health of our friends, community members, and staff is paramount. At the same time, this necessary decision imposes a financial hardship. You can help us meet payroll, keep our brilliant teaching artists employed, and deliver enriching virtual programs and opportunities. Acts to consider:
- Become a member or renew your membership today.
- Make an unrestricted tax-deductible donation.
- If you withdraw from a class, convert the balance of your fee to a donation: email email@example.com with the subject line “Donation.”
- Convert your $20 ticket to “Bon Voyage Genesee Reading Series, Bonjour Literary Partners” to a fully tax-deductible donation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Donation.”
- Think of Ampersand, our indie bookstore, when you’re ready for your next read: we’re thrilled to order any book in print and deliver it to your door.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
With gratitude and wishing you safe harbor,
Writers & Books Staff