Poetry, Pottery, & Paper: Hybrid Camp
August 9 @ EST 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$226
Member Price: $208
SummerWrite Week 5
August 9 – 13
5 Split Sessions:
9 am – 12 pm (3 hours)
1:30 – 3 pm(1.5 hours)
Ages: 8 – 11
Deadline to Register: August 2, 11:59 pm
Instructor: Kate Whorton & more TBA
NOTE: This camp is a hybrid camp. Students will spend the mornings, 9 am-12 pm, in-person at the Flower City Arts Center, 713 Monroe Avenue (see below for COVID safety protocols), then afternoons, 1:30-3 pm, on Zoom with Writers & Books
This collaboration between Writers & Books and the Flower City Arts Center provides a unique opportunity merging visual arts with creative writing. You will work with artists to handbuild a ceramic book—on which you will inscribe your own poem, make paper, learn to make different kinds of books, and use letterpress printing techniques to decorate them. With a writer, you will play with language, learning how to use image, metaphor, simile, alliteration, line breaks, and more to write your own poems. This camp is a real hands-on experience taught by professional artists and writers who share “tricks of the trade” in ceramics, book arts, poetry, and creative writing. The camp culminates with a virtual art show and poetry reading.
COVID Protocols at Flower City Arts Center:
- Face masks/coverings must be worn at all times
- Social distancing (6-feet minimum) must be practiced at all times. Please note, as needed teh camp will be broken into two groups so that no more than 5 students will be in one space together at any time.
- No one will be allowed to enter the building or must leave immediately if any one of the following have been true within a 14-day period:
- a) showing COVID-19 symptoms (i.e., fever, sore throat, dry cough, difficult breathing, shortness of breath, headache, tiredness, muscle aches, loss of taste or smell, conjunctivitis, vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea)
- b) exposure to someone who tested positive for COVID or who exhibits COVID-19 symptoms
- c) positive test for COVID-19 or are awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test
- d) travel to one of the states or countries designated as requiring mandatory quarantine by New York State.
Please visit the Flower City Arts Center Facilities Page for more details and the most up-to-date information.
Workshops are conducted EST via Zoom, a virtual platform that allows you to participate in exercises and contribute to group conversation. To participate, please register by the deadline using the ticket portal below, or go to Scholarships. Zoom links are emailed to registered participants.