Dr. Gell was a man of diverse interests, with a passion for the arts and education. He and his wife, Geraldine, traveled to Canada every summer to attend the Shakespeare Festival, which they both loved. The Gells, after living here for many years, discussed ways in which their dream home could be used to benefit others.
Their ultimate goal was for their space to be used for creative purposes. They wanted the spirit of creativity and the quest for learning and growth to continue on when they could no longer live here. Today, Writers & Books carries on that spirit of lifelong learning and a respect for nature at Gell, now consisting of the original Gell House and the Gleason Lodge.
I really enjoyed the week at Gell House because it gave me the opportunity (as well as the space) to do some serious writing and editing for the poetry project that I had mentioned on my application.
Keith McCauley, Writer-in-Residence | July 2017
(585) 473-2590 x103
Stories from Gell
- Closing of Gell for the Season
- 12 Days of WAB-Mas!
- Who Are You? Kathy Pottetti
- Interview with Steve Huff
- Guest Post: Sejal Shah
- Gell Open House
- SummerWrite 2013
- New Steps for the Gell Tree House
- SummerWrite memories
- Another season ending at the Gell Center
- Reading Resolutions
- Writing & Yoga Retreat at The Gell Center
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter
- 2014 Gell Prize Winner Announced!
- What is going on lately at our Gell Center?
- Fall Events at the Gell Center!
- Upcoming Events at Writers & Books
- Literary Love Stories
- Spring Catalog offers new workshops in all genres
- Spring has Sprung at the Gell Center!
- Writing Your Summer Adventure at Gell
- Upstate Artist Forum Gathering
- Write. Harp. Wine. Howl. A blog about the upcoming Mother Wolf Writing Retreat by Christine Green
- Testimonial from Writer in Residence at Gell, Kelli Jo Ford
- Testimonial from Writer in Residence at Gell, Kevin Clouther
- Gell Summer Intensive
- Writers & Books Receives Regional Development Grant