Writers & Books is a nationally renowned non-profit literary center located at 740 University Ave., in the heart of Rochester’s Neighborhood of the Arts. In 2001, Writers & Books initiated the Rochester Reads program. The goal of Rochester Reads is to encourage people to connect to others in our community through reading and discussion, and through the shared experience of literature. Each year, Writers & Books selects one book for our community to explore together, leading to an extended residency by the author.
Our past books have included:
- 2001 – A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
- 2002 – The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks
- 2003 – Kindred by Octavia Butler
- 2004 – Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
- 2005 – Servants of the Map by Andrea Barrett
- 2006 – Name All the Animals by Alison Smith
- 2007 – The Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian
- 2008 – Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits by Laila Lalami
- 2009 – Jim the Boy by Tony Earley
- 2010 – Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
- 2011 – The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
- 2012 – Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean
- 2013 – Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea
- 2014 – The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
- 2015 – The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
- 2016 – Queen of the Fall by Sonja Livingston
- 2017 – The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
- 2018 – The Distance Between Us by Reyna Grande
During each author’s residency in Rochester, they make a number of appearances at local libraries, schools and universities to read and discuss their work and sign books. They also talk about the writing process in the more intimate setting of a Master Class at Writers & Books. For more information on this year’s events, please check out our website.
All past Rochester Reads books are available for purchase in our bookstore at 740 University Ave.
Presenting Sponsor of the 2017 Rochester Reads: