“I felt really supported by [the teaching artist] because she encouraged me to lead lessons, share ideas, and participate in any of the writing exercises.” —2023 Apprentice
“It’s so cool to be in a camp where people are really excited about the topic!” —2023 Apprentice
SCOPE OF WORK FOR BOTH APPRENTICESHIPS
Apprenticeships offer high school juniors, seniors, and college students the opportunity to learn from and assist literary teaching artists. Apprentices gain valuable experience in youth arts education, literary programming, and child care/youth development; and exposure to the daily operations of a nonprofit arts organization. This is an ideal position for aspiring educators, writers, or individuals interested in exploring a career in the arts.
- General Apprenticeship
- Claire Allen Social Justice Apprenticeship
Training: Late June, exact dates TBD
Weekly Schedule: 8:30-4:30, M-F, for a total of 3-5 weeks, July 8-August 9
Primary Location: Writers & Books’ Rochester headquarters
Responsible to: Apprentice Coordinator
Deadline to Apply: March 30, 2024.
How to Apply: Submit completed application form, resume,* and a 250-word statement of your apprenticeship qualifications and goals to Youth Education Associate, Clara O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “SW Apprenticeship” in the subject line.
* Resume required for college/university students; optional for high school students
All hired staff must provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 and agree to a background check.
- Attend training sessions
- Support the work of teaching artists in the classroom
- Serve as a role model to campers
- Use your own creative experience to inspire the creativity of campers
- Collaborate with colleagues to create a safe, happy, and inclusive environment
- Mentor campers, with the assistance of teaching artists or other SummerWrite staff
- Assist with classroom management, technical needs, SW newsletter, class anthologies
- Communicate openly with teaching artists, coordinators, and Youth Education Associate
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Commitment to Writers & Books’ mission, values, and JEDAI goals
- Demonstrated interest in the literary arts and/or youth education
- Experience working with youth in an informal or educational setting
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Rising high school junior or senior or college student during summer 2024
CLAIRE ALLEN SOCIAL JUSTICE APPRENTICESHIP SPECIFICATIONS
Our Social Justice Apprenticeships honor the legacy of Claire Allen, a dedicated SummerWrite student in 2016 and 2017. An avid reader, published writer, talented musician, and athlete, Claire was bright, kind, and deeply passionate about social justice.
In addition to fulfilling the responsibilities of a SummerWrite General Apprenticeship, Claire Allen Social Justice Apprentices receive:
- Preferential placement in our social justice-themed camps
- Additional training/workshop focused on social justice
- Mentoring in drafting, writing, and polishing brief narratives of their experience to share with the Allen family and donors
- Website feature: bios and personal statements
- A thoughtfully selected book to own
- Participation in a culminating event to debrief experiences and celebrate achievements
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Students and recent graduates from Livingston County and the Rochester City School District are especially encouraged to apply